This posting is a stub. You can contribute to this entry by providing information through the comments link at the bottom of this post. Please organize your information following the main category headers below….
Born 11 July 1958
Died 28 November 2005
Gilda Palinginis was born in Athens, Greece on 11 July 1958. She graduated from the Greek American College of Athens. She obtained a Business Management degree from the Palmer School, Athens. She moved to Sydney, Australia; Her family currently lives there. She was a dual national of Australia and Greece. She began her animation career in Sydney. Bill Hanna was in Austalia and asked Gilda to join the Hanna and Barbera Studio in Sydney. In May 1979 Bill Hanna asked Gilda to join the Hanna and Barbera Animation Studios in Hollywood. At Hanna and Barbera she worked on features such as Flintstones, Popeye and Heidi’s Song.
As Gilda’s exceptional talent kept developing; Disney offered her a position at their studios as an Assistant Animator. Gilda subsequently worked as an Animator on several of Walt Disney Studios productions.
Born in Athens, daughter of Lela Palinginis. Moved to Sydney, Australia then to Los Angeles, California. Married in Los Angeles to John Kouros and in 1998 gave birth to a daughter, Georgie.
Graduated from The Greek American College of Athens. She obtained a Business Management degree from the Palmer School, Athens. Attended Alliance Francaise, Athens and the Runnymede College, Madrid. Gilda was fluent in French and Spanish.
Disney Studios paid the cost for Gilda to attend the CAL ARTS animation – theatre: color animation and acting.
Gilda as an Assistant Animator for Hanna-Barbera and Disney from 1979 until 1997 dedicated her talents to the profession.
Comments On Style
Charlie Chaplin was one of her favourite imitation character; Rob Minkoff was her admired animator and mentor. She worked closely with Glen Keane in “The Rescuers Down Under” who acknowledged Gilda’s talent through a dedication.
Gilda’s belief was you can do impossible creative things if you follow your heart. She had an ability to visualise an animated character and to sketch a human and animal anatomy for bringing characters to life, to add natural phenomena to an animated film. She dedicated her life to her daugher and her art.
Her other talents included acting, poetry narrating, dansing and creative drawing.
Mr. Steve Speilberg wrote a congratulatory letter to Gilda commending on her animation talents in the feature “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”.
Mr Jeffrey Katzenberg asked Gilda to work for “Dreamworks” after completion of her work in the feature “Hercules”.
1. Hercules (1997) (animator: “Adult Hercules”) (as Gilda Palinginis Kouros)
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) (animator: “Esmeralda”) (as Gilda Kouros)
3. Pocahontas (1995) (animator: “Pocahontas”)
4. The Lion King (1994) (animator: “Adult Nala”) … aka Rey león, El (USA: Spanish title)
5. Aladdin (1992) (animator: “Genie”)
6. Beauty and the Beast (1991) (key assistant animator: “Lumiere”)
… aka Beauty and the Beast: Special Edition (USA: longer version)
7. The Rescuers Down Under (1990) (character key)
8. The Little Mermaid (1989) (character key)
9. Oliver & Company (1988) (assistant animator)
10. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) (assistant animator: additional animation
11. The Great Mouse Detective (1986) (assistant animator)
… aka Basil – The Great Mouse Detective (International: English title)
… aka Basil of Baker Street (UK)
… aka The Adventures of the Great Mouse Detective (USA: reissue title)
12. Sport Goofy in Soccer mania (1986) (TV) (assistant animator)
13. The Black Cauldron (1985) (assistant animator) … aka Taran and the Magic Cauldron
14. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Esmeralda) (1983-84) Assistant Animator
15. Heidi’s Song (1982) (assistant animator)
16. “Dinky Dog” (1978) TV series (assistant animator) (1978)
In memoriam to Gilda Palinginis Kouros, The Animation Guild, ASIFA Hollywood and Women in Animation held an afternoon of Remembrance to honor departed friends from Animation Community on Saturday, January 28, 2006.
Contributors To This Listing
Palinginis Family, Switzerland, Australia and South America
To make additions or corrections to this listing, please click on COMMENTS below…